Friday, December 2, 2011

Studio Tip: Fear the Fire!

I’ll admit it. I’m paranoid about fire in my studio. Because we oil painters use mineral spirits in our studios we are at a great disadvantage compared to those who use water-soluble media. Much has been written about the health threat that fumes from evaporating solvents present in the studio, but I hear little about fire risk.

I was out in California on vacation with my wife a couple years ago and we visited Jack London State Park. We both love his novels and enjoyed visiting his homestead. What really stayed with me was the story of how Jack and his wife built their dream home “Wolf House” on their property. The mansion was enormous and cost London a huge amount of time and money. The house was just finished and waiting for the couple to move in when the whole place burned to the ground in a catastrophic fire that reportedly started in some oily rags left by a workman. Turpentine-soaked rags can ignite spontaneously, nobody has to absent-mindedly toss a cigarette at them. As a result I am paranoid about fire in my studio, and you should be too! I suggest that you consult your local fire department concerning the best way to handle the solvent-soaked and oil-paint-covered rags you produce every week in your studio. They will help you come up with a plan to minimize your risk of fire.

I’m not suggesting that YOU should do as I do, I’m merely listing (below) the plan that I employ, and that eases my paranoia. Again, I urge you to talk to your local firefighters.
• I use as little solvent as I can, this has both fire-avoidance, and health benefits. Using a sheet of glass as a palette allows me to scrape off most of my left-over paint and avoid excessive solvent use.
• I ventilate my work area with a fan both while I paint, and for a time after.
• I get the “oiled” rags out of the house as soon as possible to my local toxic waste center. I basically treat them like plutonium.
• I use a METAL trash can that has a LOCKING METAL LID (red arrows above).
• At the end of each painting session I douse the used rags in the can with some water from my very cool Art Deco watering can, close the lid, and lock it.
• I have an up-to-date and accessible fire extinguisher in my studio at all times.
Fire in the studio is a very real concern.
Develop a plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment