Friday, December 16, 2011

Tools: The Simplest Pochade

I have a full-time job, so I need to maximize my painting time however possible. To this end I have many “kits” of tools that I use to get painting time in. The smallest and simplest of these that still preserves most of the feeling of oil painting is my marker kit (above). It consists of 6 Tombow markers, a white Prismacolor pencil, a knife for sharpening the pencil, a blend marker, pencil bag, and small pad of paper.

The Tombow markers have a range of 5 grays and a black. With these grays I can block in 7 levels of value (from the white of the paper and pencil to very pale gray to flat black) in a landscape drawing. The markers have long tapering tips like a brush that let you adjust the angle and get nice variations in stroke width like a real brush loaded with paint. I use the white pencil to pull out highlights at the end.



I work small and fast. I use this kit to quickly do a tiny value study painting on my lunch hour or some other occasion when I have 20 minutes to spare. The painting above is reduced by 10% from the original (it's only 4 inches across). I need to steal time to paint whenever I can and this simplest of pochade kits works very well for me. Look for descriptions of my other painting kits in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment